Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happy New Year

And with a new school year underway in tandem with 5770 Rosh Hashanah, the voice...or er...voices...inside my head are all becoming more insistent. They're all droning in monotone...victoria...start a blog...post those stories online...everyone's been telling you to do it.

So, here I am - teaching second grade in, for purposes of identification, a Very Large City - all ready to expose the sordid underbelly of the profession. We could start with the individual, for instance, who brought a live starfish to school last week and secreted it in his desk. By the next day, of course, it was a very dead starfish. There was, shall we say, a noxious aroma pervading the hallway. Note to self: more lessons on Ocean Life.

Some of these stories are from my first year of teaching (always an "interesting" time), some from later years. The already-written ones are posted here randomly. Everything else will be more cohesive.

Obviously, it's Sunday night - prime procrastination time. However, since I've already produced the assignment sheet of spelling words for this week and made lunches for the week for both myself and the junior member of my household (a long-suffering seventh grader who occasionally has reason to regret being the child of a teacher), I feel secure that I can finish everything else before bedtime. I'm probably gravely mistaken. Good thing first period Monday morning is my prep. This way I can post a few of those old stories and not leave this post as a lonely first entry.

Happy reading, Happy New Year.



No comments:

Post a Comment